Le Grand Ballon et la Route des Cretes

I feel all good after riding the Ballon d Alsace - 1247m- time to go higher on the Grand Ballon 1424m - in winter it is snow white - and the famous route des Cretes;
After lunch all the crazy drivers are on the road...including a motorcyclist coming out of a corner on the wrong side of the road, a BMW from Germany, I missed it by a twinkle, my heart is going boum boum ....more adrenaline pumping up as I reach corners covered with pebbles (for snow conditions)....later the front tyre is sliding on melting rubber used to patch cracks in the bitumen...it is getting hot and I am a bit frustrated with the afternoon ride.











I get into the paved town of Munster, and find a small hotel with undercover parking for the bike. Cigognes (same family as the oz jabiru) are squatting all over town


/







I find a shop full of local cheese, The Munster, eau de vie - brandy made from rasberry, pear, mirabelle, plums and the Alsacian pie. The owner is a motorcyclist.











In the evening an accordeonist entertains the hotel guests with his accordeon





No comments: