Getting lost

Avoiding the busy Valley du Rhone, I ride on the Eastern edge of the hilly Massif Central. Main roads crossing Villages are very narrow, the speed limit is 30km/hr and the unexpected is always waiting for you round the corner. A large dog suddenly come out of one door to run straight in front of me to enter the opposite house...I missed it by a twinkle. Some days I encounter up to 3 dogs per day, one of them turned around and looked at me like saying 'missed!' looks like the dogs favourite game is to run in front of a motorcycle. The roads are dangerous, cars cutting corners, truck coming at you on the wrong side of the road, slow tractors towing large machinery at slow speed without warning....
I miss the road I intended to take and end up at LePuy en Velais , great statue standing on a high rocky formation, but terrible traffic....before St Etienne, I keep leaving the highway in search of a country road to head North, at every 'sortie' I get lost and find myself back on the highway. I am tired and hungry..finally I find the main road to Roanne and its traffic jams. At the first opportunity I head North East through fields of colza. i find a 'gite' in an old farm for the night. I have dinner with my host, friendly farmers, they make their own cheese, we drink good wine...and I rest my sore muscles.

No comments: