Back to the Pyrennees


From Provence to the Pyrennees, I rode through Camargue, the Languedoc Roussillon, towards Andorra; stopped au pays des Orgues, the work of erosion through sandstone



The main road to Andorra was full of pot holes, broken bitumen riding safely prevented the fun, as soon as I crossed the Spanish border the road was heaven, excellent bitumen, wide corners and no traffic, a road that  was presented as a minor road on the map happened to be a top road, riding to a small town, Sort, then up to the renown ski place of Salardu  -where the Spanish King, Juan Carlos goes skiing-
I did not stop for a photo shot as my head was spining and my stomach was sick, a succession of hair pins and altitude, looking down the barren steep slopes.......a fantastic venture

Enjoying the September sunny days to explore more Spanish roads and col des Pyrennees, rode through the Somport tunnel 9km long, to discover more country roads on the dry side of the Pyrennees with the first colours of autumn

Riding back to France via the Breche de Rolland, who used his sword to make way through the rock for his troups, I followed a group of riders to relax my brains, beautiful forests along the side.

The next day I rode back to Spain to enjoy the lovely roads

The Basque Police was searching cars, dismantling doors for weapons or drugs?

mountain creek, where are the wires going to?

Modern Spanish village

A freeway with long bridges and tunnels is beeing built to join Catalogna to the West Coast, there is hardly any traffic on the current road.....it might promote tourism
This guy on a BMW, quickly slowed down thinking I was a cop with a radar....my small camera!


Le Col du Portalet, so barren, riding down on the French side, the road was narrow, busy with cars _ going to the Spanish border to purchase cigarettes and alcohol

On the way, I stayed in  maison d hotes or relais de motards where you meet other motorcyclists and there can be access to a workshop in some places. They are reasonable from 37 euros to 60 euros a night and food can be great check this one:
Scallops and prawns



1 comment:

Blogger said...

Are you paying over $5 / pack of cigarettes? I buy my cigs at Duty Free Depot and I'm saving over 70% from cigs.